Saturday, 6 September 2014

It's Not Yet Dark: Simon Fitzmaurice [Hachette Books Ireland].






I like to call myself an avid reader, but often that can be debated due to the fact that I’m completely biased in picking up a book from the popular fiction section. I’m not too partial to crime and horror, mainly because I’m a complete wimp (as in; crawling into my Mums bed kind of wimp), and I don’t very often pick up biographies or memoirs. When I do, it’s down to suggestions from friends or from customers ranting and raving about a particular biography that I just have to read. My decision to start “It’s Not Yet Dark” by Simon Fitzmaurice was a product of both friendly suggestions and passionate rants from customers...and I am SO glad I picked it up. 

Tracing his life from the birth of his love for film, his happy college years and the marriage of his wife Ruth to the devastating diagnosis of Motor Neurone Disease, Simon’s mantra throughout the course of his memoir preaches not only about life’s worth, but the importance of never giving up even when the odds are stacked to a tower against you. Beautifully, he talks us through both the emotional and physical pain of MND, his desperation to find some kind of prolonging remedy, and his ongoing and fast deterioration. Admirably however, against all medical opinion, Simon chooses to not face doom and gloom of death just yet and opts to ventilate, learning more than ever to appreciate, value and savour every minute of his extraordinary life with his family. 

The one critique I have is not actually a critique of the book, but rather within myself; have I found it to be more sad than inspirational or more inspirational than sad? If I was forced to answer, the profound inspiration and admiration stemming from the love and support of family radiates through Simons devastating story, making readers appreciate the driving power of love and willingness to not give up. 

 “It’s Not Yet Dark”, written through an eye gaze computer, follows the life of the one of the bravest, strongest and most courageous people I have ever come across, both in my everyday life and in literature.  

No comments:

Post a Comment